Yes, I have been exercising

Monday, February 5, 2007

My first, frigid foray into the outdoors

  • I was pumped for Saturday morning's run.
  • I had bought a new jacket.
  • I had all the layers I would need.
  • I watched Prefontaine the night before.
  • I slept well and ate a good breakfast.

Unfortunately, life doesn't always go as we have prepared.

To begin with, I was ten minutes late. I hate being late, especially for a first meeting. I thought I left myself enough time to figure out the meeting spot but Kensington park was bigger than I thought. I show up to the parking lot, huff out of my car and throw my many layers on. I see an SUV marked with the TIT sign so I trudge over. The helper was polite and friendly, instructing me on how to follow the trail. It was simple enough: I was running 4 miles and so I'd head to mile marker 2 and turn around.

I walked up to the 0.0 mile marker feeling slightly dejected. Where was my team? Was I really doing this sub-freezing run alone? Should I have expected this and brought my ipod? I tried to put these disconcerting thoughts aside and focus on myself, my run, the courage I had to show up. The run was fine enough. I was dressed very protectively. I ended up doing some walking stints on the turn around. It was fierce out there on those uphill battles, the howling wind like a banshee in my face and shimmering through the laces on my shoes. Less than an hour later, I returned to the SUV and re-fueled with bagels and water. My mentor was there and asked if I had had success. Well, what did he think I was gauging success by? Never pausing to walk? Not developing hypothermia? Hmmm. "Well, you made it back", someone jokes.

Yes, I made it back. I suppose that was my success of the morning. I woke up early on a freezing cold Saturday morning to run outdoors for the best 4 miles I could. I accomplished the first group run out of 16 to go. I didn't freeze to death. I could still feel my legs and fingers. So, for the initial time out, I had found some success.

No comments: