Yes, I have been exercising

Monday, February 19, 2007

An efficient weekend of running

This was a productive weekend.
I ran the full 5 miles at Kensington on Saturday WITHOUT stopping.
That's a big development in my training. The amazing thing is that it didn't seem like that herculean of a task. I kept repeating the mantra pick 'em up and put 'em down. In other words, just don't stop running. After that I was bushed, whooped, beaten down and sore. I came home, showered, threw down some oatmeal and promptly crashed for a nap by 1130. Hell. I deserved it!

Sunday was my 3 miles at the gym. Sometimes it's great to be at the gym on a lazy, uncrowded, unhurried afternoon. I strolled for a relaxing 10 minute warm up. I finished my 3 miles with a relaxing 15 minute cool down. Then I stretched. I LOVE stretching. Unfortunately, it's too cold outside to plop down in the grass right now and by the time I get home, I'm usually in a rush to shower and warm myself up. I took full advantage of the gym's area to wring my muscles out. It was so cathartic. I even did a circuit on the weight machines. I treated myself to some luxuriating time in the steam room and the dry sauna. That is how one does a trip to the gym properly!

Now, it's Monday. My day of well-deserved rest!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it is in the 40s here, so maybe you can throw yourself down in the slushy brown snow to do some stretching :) I hope we don't get some Artic blast, because I am already putting away the sweaters and getting out the suntan lotion!
Way to go on the 5-miler ~ check out those legs of steel!
-emily

Anonymous said...

enjoy your day off!! love mom