Yes, I have been exercising

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Get-A-Grip

With my newest running accessory, I was feeling bold and brave and determined to huff it through the snow yesterday. I had not worked out since Saturday's morning run. I had been ungraciously gorging on extra dessert treats. The gym would not do for my 430 run. The outdoors was my only alternative. Boy, that midwest arctic blast couldn't have had worse timing. I was going out into the milky white thick of it. I knew I had to toughen up my adventurous spirit when I pulled into Kensington and only saw two other vehicles. That means there were only 2 runners out there. I was curious as to what type of Eskimos they might be and I instantly felt a neighborly connection with them.

I rolled out of my car with the chunky snow like flints against my eyes. I hopped up and down for a few brief seconds testing the feel of my shoes strapped into the get-a-grip traction. I saw the footprints of the other two runners and thought "Alright, winter buddies, let's do this!" (Yes, I am very much a geek, and even more so when trying to rally my spirits.)

I got to the starting mark, saw the path disappearing under fluctuating drifts of feathery snow and began to jog. Pick 'em and put 'em down. I could barely look up with the flakes crusting into my eyelids. For a second, I even bemoaned this sucks but I kept with it. My shoes kind of made me feel spritely. I bounded on and off the path, over the dry areas, through the deeper snowy patches. I kept it up. I almost told myself I'd turn around at the 1.25 mark and be satisfied with a 2.5 mile run but I kept on going to the 1.5 mark before I turned around. I even passed my buddies and felt a surge of confidence and comradery as we nodded in mutual admiration (at least that's how it occurred in my head---they were probably wondering why this odd duck waddling about was even trying as she gasped and choked for breath in that blizzard). I persevered though. I did the whole 3-mile loop without stopping.

Yeah Me!!!!

Then I was lucky enough to be given a two-hour work delay this morning. I was at the gym by 8am getting in my short two miles for Wednesday. Gotta get that positive body mindset going for my valentine's day dinner. WHEE!! Exciting :)
*Happy VD everyone*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, run alex run love mom

MH said...

WOW! I've never even heard of those. You are a REAL runner.