Yes, I have been exercising

Thursday, March 22, 2007

plugging away

Yesterday I ran 3 miles on the treadmill at the gym. I haven't been inside the gym in weeks. The gym is so crowded, stuffy and boring. Everyone is robotic and plugged into their machines. I am really developing a new appreciation for running outside, even when the weather is not ideal. There is something earthy and refreshing about it---feeling a part of the natural rhythm of things.

I downloaded a free Mates of State song from some magazine's website and the last echoing line implores You can surely try to be more alive. I relish those words during a run. Very invigorating.

The one positive aspect of the treadmill is the digital console alerting you to the efficiency (or lack thereof) of all your body's capabilities. Sure, there's also a smug little high in seeing that you are outrunning the little old lady next to you and then, commensurately, the deflation of feeling yourself dwarfed by some Ben Johnson sprinting at a 7.5 pace for miles.

I wanted to try and pick up the pace of my 3 mile run. I managed to eek out 31:30 and it was a toughie. My quads were already on fire from the 6 miles of hills of the day before. My lungs were bursting and I was gritting my teeth in the determined I hope to god this is over in 3 minutes type of way. It wasn't exactly enjoyable. Really, with all this training, I'm just happy to get the miles in without worrying too much about pace. Baby steps...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I have had a tough time finding your blog...but I finally did today from work and it was fun to catch up with what is happening with you. Keep plugging away!