Yes, I have been exercising

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Taking the first step

One of my favorite sayings makes the point that success does not come from completing an event but rather having the courage to begin. That is so true. Sure we feel satisfied when we cross a finish line but we should also feel pleased anytime that we stared the demons (laziness, fatigue, distraction, etc.) down and went out and exercised at all. Running 10 miles is great but you had to start with smaller distances to build up to that feat. That is where true success lies. Carving out a plan. Jumping over the obstacles (instead of being squashed by them). Making it to the starting line, through the gym door, lacing up your shoes, you get the point. I feel like a solid champ for making it to the gym yesterday. I ran four miles. I didn't break any land speed records but I got in a hearty workout. I sweated out some toxins. I started again with building a base. There's a 5K coming up and I'd like to run it in 30 minutes. I gotta start with the little incremental steps to get to that point. That's what I did last night. Cheers to me! And to all of you who are just keepin' on!

No comments: