Yes, I have been exercising

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Scared

After talking with some people yesterday I started to get scared about my hip going into remission. I'm just so afraid of ending up where I was before--standing on the sidelines instead of the starting line.

That's when Ed pointed out to me to take some of my own advice. He actually sent me (me!) part of the article that I wrote on hip tendonitis. What did I say in there? Overuse comes from increasing too fast and not resting enough. What did I suggest to alleviate that? Cross training and weight lifting.

Have I made a concerted effort for either? No.

Dang it all.

Is everyone this bad about taking their own advice. Geepers, I paid the bucks for my bike just for this reason--to ride it on off days from running. And the weights? Did I really think that a few weeks in PT was all I needed?

I need to re-evaluate my plans. So, last night I did the elliptical for 25 minutes and then a circuit of weights.

The marathon is still a good 7 weeks away. I can take days off and be in fine form. I need to reinforce that idea. Continually. Persistently!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess I figured that if you wouldn't listen to me, maybe you'd listen to you! :)

MH said...

Good for noticing this - with Ed's help:)
My physical therapist was stressing this to me today (my pt graduation). That I've made SUCH good progress and not to lose it if I want to be a strong runner, and not get injured. The same goes for you! Running is the challenge AND the goal AND the reward. You'll have to do all that other work to be the runner you expect to be - good for you. When you bike, try intervals of standing and sitting, my physical therapist suggested this; it's a great strength builder and very challenging.