Yes, I have been exercising

Friday, May 29, 2009

Yoga's like pizza...

even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

I was on a mission to make it to a Bikram class at 5:30 after work. It'd had been more than a week since I last engaged in any sort exercise that could be considered rigorous. (I don't think a few lazy, breaststrokes in the ocean count for much.) I wasn't thinking my body would have much to give, but I had to get back to exercising sooner rather than later.

I was thrilled to show up and see the class was being led by my favorite instructor. Then I got another jolt of good news when I saw my favorite spot in the class was still empty! The sessions have been so full lately (almost, grossly so) and so I haven't had that ideal spot in months. Then on a totally superficial level, it was nice to stare at my tanned limbs in the mirror, instead of the pale appendages I was previous sporting before my vacation.

For the most part, I was just relieved to make it to the class. I sat down a couple of times when I felt too drained or lazy to really commit deeply to a pose. I actually did better in some poses than I was expecting. But Bikram's tricky like that. You never know when you'll be powering through and when you'll be wilting after half-moon pose. I usually love standing bow pose (see picture), but I couldn't hold my balance for nothing. Ugh, it was so dispiriting. Thankfully, I slogged though the 90 minute session without passing out.

I found I have 10 remaining classes on the pass I bought last November. Part of me is looking forward to giving my all for the last classes, but part of me will be thrilled when my package is used up and I can think about trying something new!

No comments: