Yes, I have been exercising

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Breakfast of the ancients with a modern twist

I call it "ancient" because it's a grain that has been a food staple since the Incas farmed their lands thousands of years ago. I sarcastically say modern because I used a stove. I'm a boring breakfast girl. I need to eat in the morning. I stay away from crazy sugars found in syrup and most breakfast cereals. More often than not, I consider my oatmeal my luxury and my base, depending on the accoutrements I throw into it.


Awhile back, I stumbled onto a flavorful and colorful quinoa breakfast recipe. This one calls for the red variety, which can be hard to come by (which explains why I saw the recipe months ago and just recently tried it). I had found a white version in an enormous bag at Meijer that was more money than I wanted to pay. Then I found a box of the red at a high-end grocery store.


Ingredients:
1c. red quinoa
1c. organic 2% milk
1c. water
2 tbsp. cinnamon
handful of berries (I used strawberries and blueberries)
a spattering of walnuts
1 tbsp agave nectar


Directions:
Combine equal parts quinoa, milk, and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and then let simmer 15 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add cinnamon and berries, cover, and let meld for one or two more minutes.


While the flavors are combining, throw your walnuts in a dry pan and roast them for a few minutes over medium-high heat.

Spoon the quinoa mixture into 2-3 bowls. Top with walnuts and agave nectar.

These grains really retain the heat, so either let it sit for a while or add a few splashes of milk so your mouth doesn't burn and end up tasting like rubber.

No comments: